Friday, June 02, 2006

World's Worst Mommy Award

Miss Jillian has learned how to crawl into the dishwasher. I was doing dishes one evening and turned around (from the sink) to see her sitting on the lid. I thought it was so cute I had to get some pictures. But, I don't think that she should do this very often - I'm afraid the door might break!


OK....so I had a very bad Mommy day last week. Jeremy was traveling (of course). It all started when I stayed up later than normal working on a sewing project. Normally I get in bed about 9:30 or so and read for a bit before falling asleep at 10. On this particular night, I didn't get to bed until 11 pm - and I know that's not terribly late; but, between 11pm and 6am (when Jillian woke up for the day) Jillian woke up 4 times!!!!!!!!! I have no idea why, but she just kept waking up crying and I needed to go in each time to soothe her back to sleep. By 4 am I was exhausted and when I put her back to bed, I forgot to raise the side of the crib. I am just tooooo short to lay her down with the crib rail all the way up. She woke me up at 6 by throwing everything - her teddy bear, blanket, mattress pad, pacifier and a few toys - on the floor. Thankfully she didn't fall out....it would have been so easy. It gets worse. Later in the morning, I take her downstairs so that I can check e-mail. She left the computer room and after a moment I notice that all I hear is silence. I know that can't be good, so I go on a search. I find her in the living room surrounded by my sewing pins. She found my pin cushion and had removed all 50 pins- they were on the floor all around her. Then I notice that she has a pin IN HER MOUTH! I picked her up and said a quick prayer thanking God that Jillian wasn't hurt. When my uncle was a young boy he swallowed a pin. The Dr. said he was lucky in that the pin did not cut anything in his digestive tract. Thats all I could think of. It gets worse. At bathtime, I took Jillian to her room and get her undressed and tell her its time to take her bath. Like normal, I set her down and she runs ahead to the bathroom where the bath is waiting. I am a few steps behind her and when I get to the bathroom, I scream when I see that Jillian has found the can of comet I left on the floor earlier that day when I meant to scrub the tub and didn't get a chance. Jillian does not have access to the bathroom - only at bathtime does she spend any real time in there. I had forgotten about the cleaning supplies on the floor. She didn't have time to eat much - but, she did get some. She had comet around her lips and was coughing like "gross!" I immediately called the poison center and was told to clean out her mouth, give her something to eat and drink, and to keep her up for at least another hour to monitor her signs. She was fine and enjoyed the extra playtime.

On this night when I put Jillian to bed, I was thankful she was still alive and uninjured. I did so many things wrong - so many things that could have had tragic outcomes. I am so thankful God was watching over our little girl on this day!

1 comment:

Mac and Caden said...

Sleep deprivation is wicked, isn't it? To hear Joy tell it, you a wonderful Mom and everyone is allowed to have an off day. Jillian is no worse for the wear so don't be so hard on yourself!