Friday, September 22, 2006

Denali Princess Lodge

In the lobby of the Denali lodge is this statue of Balto. Jillian loved him, she hugged and petted him. I thought he was just a statue of any old mushing dog until Jeremy said I should write the story of Balto. I said, why? Who is Balto? I had to look the story up on the internet to remind myself of the great mushing dog who led his team the last 53 miles to Nome in January 1925 carrying the serum to end the diphtheria epidemic. They called it the "Great Race of Mercy". And, after looking close, I can see the name "Balto" engraved at the bottom of the statue.



The lodge is set up like a little village with paths connecting the room buildings with souvenir shops, mini theater, and cafe's. A wood-carved bear stood in front of each shop holding a salmon sign - one side said open and the opposite said closed. We thought this was pretty cute. And Jillian signed "fish" as soon as she saw the salmon. That was even cuter. :)

No comments: