Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Withrow Update

Aloha everyone! It has been a busy time in the Withrow home since my last post. A week before Christmas my Grandma had a heart attack and was immediately sent by helicopter to the heart hospital to have a stent procedure done. She still refers fondly to the fun helicopter ride. :) When the stent did not work, her doctors scheduled her open heart surgery. She asked my cousin to bring me and my sister (who is currently living in Costa Rica) home to be with her.....along with the rest of the family who live within driving distance. How could we say no? The family gathered from Missouri, Iowa, Costa Rica and Hawaii to be with Grandma when she went in to surgery. Jeremy (my hero!) stayed home and took care of Jillian. I was gone for 13 days and Jeremy was able to take off from work every day but one. For one day, Jillian went to play with the kids at day care. The other 12, Jeremy and Jillian played hard and had a great time. I am so thankful for him! It was great seeing my family over the holidays....we are never in the same place at the same time anymore...and at the same time I missed celebrating Christmas with my baby who is now starting to understand and appreciate all the fun-ness of the Holidays.

Grandma is doing great! She was released to a nursing facility to complete her rehab a week after surgery. This past weekend my cousin Sarah brought her home, where she was so very excited to be reunited with her kitties. :) My youngest sister, Natalie, moved in and will be there to help out evenings and weekends, when the nurse is off.

When I got home Jillian was extra cranky. Jeremy and I thought that she just needed time to settle into the new normal. Then one day she was laying in my lap and I noticed her one ear was full of junk. We made an appointment for her to see the Doctor....the 2nd doctor we tried and thankfully he was MUCH better than the first one. Jillian had an ear infection! Apparently she picked up a little cold at day care and it turned into an ear infection. Poor thing was feeling so yucky. She has been on antibiotics for 9 days now and I'm pretty sure she is all better, we are just finishing the bottle like good patients. That's what the label says to do, you know.... :)

This is a picture of Jillian hugging Grinch from our neighbor's yard. Our neighbors love to decorate for the holidays and Jillian LOVES it! Everyday she went over to hug Grinch. :) This is also the only picture from Christmas this year. Pictures are my thing....video is more of Jeremy's thing. So this year, we have video but no pics.

Hope you all had a very Happy Holiday season!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never had an ear infection, so I don't think I appreciated the pain, fever, and inability to sleep until Josh had them so often, they gave him tubes...twice! My heart goes out to little Ms Jillian-it's NOT fun! I was told if you give a gentle little tug on the earlobe-if it's infected, it'll hurt. I'm glad you noticed her ear when she was on your lap! Poor thing! Poor parents too! I'm glad she is all better now! :)

Jillian will build up a tolerance when she is around kids-it'll actually make her amune system stronger being around other germ infested kids. When I was team teaching Kindergarteners we suggested kids get exposed to other kids BEFORE school started, otherwise they missed a lot of school.

Just a couple more months before Jillian's birthday! Another one I'll miss :(
Miss you all!
JOY